The system of issuing an E-challan is a way for traffic police to streamline the method of tracking traffic offenders and holding them accountable. Most states in India track traffic offenses electronically, with the use of cameras installed in key locations to monitor traffic violations. An E-challan is akin to a traffic ticket, but it is issued online, electronically, as authorities can get information about the owner of a vehicle through their licence plate number. With advancements in technology, the E-challan system has made the accountability of violations a seamless and quick process.
What is an E-challan?
An E-challan is the digital version of a regular challan. The system of electronically issuing an E-challan is part of an integrated computer network in Telangana. By issuing an E-challan, Telangana State Police have made it simpler for individuals to pay fines. People who are fined do not have to wait in endless queues, and can pay fines on the spot, with the swipe of a debit/credit card, as the authorities in Telangana have personal digital assistant, or PDA, machines with them. With an excellent GPRS network in place, the Telangana authorities can connect to a central system. Through this, the police can even view previous violations. In case you want to find out the status of any challans issued to you, Finserv MARKETS is a good place to start.
When is an E-challan issued?
Even if you don’t pay your fine on the spot, the PDA system of the authorities in Telangana can print out an E-challan instantly and hand it over to you to pay it online later, within a stipulated period. Here are some instances when an E-challan is issued in Telangana:
- Driving without a licence – You will incur an E-challan with a fine of Rs. 500
- Driving without registration documents – You will incur a fine of Rs. 2000 for this
- Driving without updated insurance documents – You will have to pay a fine of Rs. 1000
- Underage driving – In case you are driving when you are under 18 years of age, you will get fined Rs. 500
- Driving into a ‘No Entry’ zone – You will be fined Rs. 200 for this violation
How to Check the Status of an E-challan in Telangana
There may be instances when traffic violators have no knowledge of a violation committed by them as cameras may have caught them unawares. In such cases, it’s possible to check your challan status online, and it’s a good idea to do this regularly. Here is how you can check your E-challan status in Telangana, through these steps:
- Go to the portal of Parivahan
- On the Home Page, you will see a tab, ‘Check Challan Status’. Click on this
- You will be directed to a new page on which you have to fill in your driving licence details or vehicle number
- If there is no existing E-challan issued to you, you will see ‘Challan Not Found’ in a box
- If an E-challan does exist against you, a new page will open showing you details of your challan
In the End
In order to prevent violation of traffic regulations, it’s important to know more about them and the fines charged. At Finserv MARKETS you can get detailed information in this respect.